Depression is a mood disorde which is a leading cause of disability and its most debilitating illness affecting all areas of your life from your self care, relations and occupation.
This information may help those who have been struggling with life, feeling down, or hopeless, and who thinks they themselves or friends may have depression.
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION ;
- Unable to feel pleasure or joy in previously enjoyable activities like going out with friends(for hangout ,dinner, movies) or even spending quality time with family
- Difficulty in concentrating at work and making decisions of everyday life
- losing your self-image and always feeling difficult to communicate with others,
- feeling guilty of past experiences and sense of unworthiness prevails,
- Having negative (pessimistic) thoughts and focusing on only negative aspects of life,
- feeing of hopeless about future and perhaps can have ideas or thoughts of harming yourself or others or even having suicidal thoughts /plans
Physical symptoms you may experience :
- feeling agitated or irritable with everyone at home or work
- having no energy for daily chores or feeling lethargic at all times ,
- Disturbed sleep ; having too little or too much sleep
- waking up early in the morning instead of usual routine
- having a headache or indigestion(stomach upset) after or before food intake
- losing interest in sex life ,
- Having Loss of appetite (weightloss) or start eating too much (weightgain)
Other symptoms people may notice in you;
- Repeated mistakes at work or can’t focus at job
- Remaining quiet , or start avoiding people
- Decrease in self care, remaining unshaved or not trimming beard or dressing up
- stop taking care of your home chores– stop cooking, don’t tidy or forget to change the sheets of your bed.
- Most people will not experience all of these at once , and some people may only be aware of physical symptom.
Classification of Depression ;
According to number of symptoms , it’s is categorized into minor,moderate and severe depression.
How Is Depression Treated?
1)Psychotherapy (Talk Therapy)
For minor depression you only need regular visits with a psychologist who educates you regarding self help techniques involving stress coping, anger management ,resolution of family conflicts and CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy)
Medications plus Psychotherapy ;
For moderate to severe depression medications and psychotherapy go hand in hand ,you need for medications and regular Psychotherapy sessions.
Psychotropic (medications affecting neurotransmitters in your brain ) responsible for your mood elevation eg; serotonin
Main psychotropic drugs used for depression are SSRI’s ( increase serotonin levels in brain and consequently helps in making mood good.
And Psychotherapy sessions involving areas aforementioned
3 .ElectroConvulsive Therapy for resistant depression or severe depression posing immediate life threatening danger : repeated suicide attempts in short span or refusal to eat and drink.
Risk Factors for Depression
Many factors can play a role in depression
- Biochemistry: Different brain chemicals contribute to symptoms of depression ie; serotonin levels depletion and Vitamin D deficiency
- Genetics families. Even in identical twins ,chances increases upto 70 percent .
- Early life adversities such as long term childhood abuse, neglect in broken families .
- Personality : People who have low self esteem and sensitive nature are more prone to depression.
Other types of Depression;
- Persistent depressive disorder (also called dysthymia) is a form of depression in which mood is persistently low for at least two years. It doesn’t interfere with self care or occupation.But if an episode of depression comes on top of it.Then it’s called double depression.a severe form of depression
- Postpartum depression milder form is the “baby blues” (usually happens with mothers after the birth of a baby) it usually settles down after 2 weeks but if it persists and poses danger to life of mother (refusing oral intake ,maintaining self care or having homicidal thoughts regarding the new born then psychiatric intervention is must.
- Psychotic depression is a severe form of depression in which person develops false and fixed false beliefs such as body parts have disappeared or all the wealth has ruined (contrary to the reality) or being punished for sins. examples of many scenarios that may come according to circumstances of person.
- Seasonal affective disorder is characterized by mood alteration at fixed seasonal changes like from summer to winters .Mostly prevalent in countries with longer duration of winters or with people who tend to spend most of time indoor for work .(absence of sunlight interferes with vitamin D synthesis and ultimately leading to depression)
- Bipolar disorder is different form than of usual depression which characterized by extreme mood changes .it is characterized by extremely low mood episodes (Bipolar depression ) with extremely elated or irritable mood episodes (Mania) or less severe form ie; Hypomania.
Debunking Myths about Depression;
1. Depression is not real illness its because of a sad situation ( for example; loss of loved one)and it will go away with time soon.Mostly people confuse it normal grief which settles down on its own.
2. We have to be on life long medications.
It’s a common myth it all depends on the severity which can be for few months but it’s never life long.
3. Antidepressants are addictive and cause dependence.It’s absolutely wrong .They are not addictive at all and don’t make you look drowsy or sedated.All it needs to taper it off with the advise of treating psychiatrist
1. Never treat yourself with over the counter medications or through google.
2. If you or your loved ones suffering from symptoms of depression always consult a psychiatrist .
3. If you or someone close to you have tried to commit suicide or shows thoughts of doing it.consult nearby psychiatrist as soon as possible.
- Building No. 580 Q-block, MA Johar Town Road, Johar Town, Lahore